As School Counselor/Social Worker, I work with students on an individual basis, in small groups and in their classrooms.
My focus is on academic skills, career awareness, and personal/social skills. I often connect families to resources in the community as needed. I also attend parent-teacher conferences, IEP meetings and CARE team meetings as able.
Here are some reasons students might want to talk to me:
- "I had an argument with my best friend and she doesn't want to be my friend anymore."
- "Some kids in my science class are talking about fighting after school."
- "My parents argue all the time and I don't know what to do."
- "My grandfather is real sick and I'm scared he's going to die."
- "My mom just had a baby and she doesn't have time for me anymore."
- "We're moving again!"
- "My dad wants me to be an engineer like him, but I want to be a pilot."
Here are some reasons parents might want to talk to the me:
- "This is John's third school this year, and he's having difficulty adjusting."
- "My husband is being deployed in two weeks and Carolyn may need some help coping with this change."
- "Sam used to be excited about school, but lately he doesn't seem to care."
- "My wife and I recently separated and our daughter could use some help understanding this."
- "My son seems to be the target of some teasing and bullying at the bus stop. Can you help?"
A few other things I do includes:
--Liason of support
Here are some links to let you know more about this profession:
School Counselor NASW School SW Ethics and Standards